Sunday, August 17, 2014

To Russia With Nuts and Bolts

Ross Reports:
Jean does the paperwork and the finances and I look after the nuts and bolts. So, what to take? After checking our maintenance logs for the bikes, I stock up on filters, brake pads and tire repair stuff. What did I mean when we wrote something in the book? Are you sure that's what we meant? I hope we are reading that correctly!! The biggest issue I expect to have is getting the bikes started. Jean's hasn't run for a year and mine hasn't run for two years. Might not be a big problem except we had a real mixup earlier on and I could only get one bike to run 2years ago. Got that straightened out, but maybe we'll see the same thing again. The gas tanks are rusty and that could be a problem. I have a few solutions planned, but you know all about plans.

When we get the bikes at the airport, they need to start right away as I can't spend a day or two there. Our hotel is about 10 miles away so at least one of them has to run. The bikes will be shipped with very little gas in them. I'm expecting to see the crud from the bottom of the tank so have hoses and filters to look after that, I will need fresh gas. That means that someone will have to find a gas station before we can leave the airport. We will all have some assembly issues, windshields,etc. the other 3 bikes have just been ridden so have fresh gas. Doug is carrying a rotopak so I'm hoping he will get us some fresh gas. I'm cautiously optimistic about the outcome, so we'll wait and see.
As for the parts situation, who knows? I think we have enough tires and tubes and whatever. Small parts we might need. If it's anything major our chances of getting it in Russia are not good. Even here in South Korea I have seen no large motorcycles. I would bet that parts for a KLR are rare to non existent.


I'm expecting gas and oil and not much else. Dave has found that chain lube is an endangered species here in South Korea and I expect it to be the same or worse in Russia. Just as we found it in South America. Motor oil works for me, but who knows what else we might need and what else we can't get??

Sent from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on the startup. Glitches at the start are a bummer. I can't imagine packing for all contingencies! MacGyver will be your friend. Maybe with all of us in contact through this blog we can find a cure for almost anything!! Remember the KLR is a simple bike in comparison to many out there. That'll help ya.

    ReplyDelete