Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Moscow - Rest Day Two

23SEP - Spent the day sightseeing and thus learning the Moscow Metro. Reminds me of Paris but here they have Wi-Fi. Moscow has more billionaires than any city in the world and it shows with the shops and under-ground malls. Just plain amazing. Our 'Mall of America' in the Twin Cities is Walmart compared to what they have here. They are already building giant football (to soccer to U.S. folks) stadiums getting ready for the World Cup in 2018.

Stopped at a Starbuck's two blocks from Red Square to use a gift card Linda Kelly gave me. The Russians really like their coffee as there are coffee shops everywhere.

Picked up the bike at 17:00 and rode to the hotel through Moscow rush-hour traffic. Took me twenty minutes to get there yesterday at 14:00. Getting to the hotel today took one hour. It would have taken another hour if I hadn't gone 'native' as Sam Bexon would say after riding with me in Mexico. Put another way, take advantage of being on a moto, lane-split, make illegal U-turns on eight to ten lane local streets to avoid left turns, and so on.

Tomorrow, after yet another Hilton breakfast buffet, (And I'd thought I might shed a few pounds on this trip) we're back on the road, heading for St. Petersburg (and Sara on Friday) with a stop about halfway at Valday.

No comments:

Post a Comment