Sunday, September 21, 2014

To Russia With Truck

We've been passing big trucks for a couple of weeks now. We are faster than all of the trucks and slower than 95% of the cars. Lots of trucks, and more trucks. Almost all two lane roads, bumpy roads and lots of oncoming traffic. Although we are never very far from the railroad, the trucks are a constant. Scania, Kamaz, Freightliner, Mercedes, DAF, etc. So now it's my turn to see the traffic from the other side.
The bike has started to shake like I'm riding on a corduroy road. I can't see an obvious problem although I can feel it. After about 20 km we park at a gas station, restaurant in the middle of nowhere to regroup. ADAC towing insurance is in effect as we are west of the Ural Mountains, but is only good for 130 km. It's 340 km to Kazan and the next Kawi dealer so the tow truck wants another $360 on top of the insurance. We call Stefan, our Euro advisor and bike storage depot. Find someone with a pickup going your way! Easier said than done.
Lots of big trucks, but no pickup trucks. I see an empty car hauler pull in and walk over. No English. I point east, then west. He's going west. Good. Kazan?? Yes. Sign language, moto, broken, Kazan??? Nyet. Back to the restaurant. No other possibles. About 30 minutes later, the same driver waves me over and nods yes. So it's grab my stuff and get the bike to the truck. He raises the top racks out of the way and we all push and on goes the bike.
We tie it down and Jean and RuthAnn hand me my gear plus phone, gps, etc. In ten minutes or less we are off. I speak no Russian and he speaks no English. We manage Peter and Ross. That's about it. What an opportunity missed, but it is what is. It's a fairly cushy ride although you know the bumps are there. It's a Hyundai truck that delivers new Hyundai cars. 80 km is the speed at best and often less.
Driving is a serious business here and he does pay attention. Cars are always passing, sometimes dangerously close, but there is no comment or road rage. The driver takes about a dozen phone calls but always seems to be in control. Good road or bad, he just plods along, usually in a long line of trucks, dodging potholes and cars passing him. The CB is on, but not a lot of chatter. A wave to the oncoming car haulers and not much else. About one cigarette an hour with the window cracked open. It's a cab over so I'm stuck in my little corner with some of his gear. Not moving and not complaining.
At one point, Steve, RuthAnn and Jean pass us, but soon after they pull over for gas. I wonder how we will hook up again? It's dusk and we are approaching Kazan. I need to go into the city and he is taking the bypass and heading on to Moscow. I think about staying with it, but decide to get off here. The bike still runs so I can limp into the city and on to our hotel. We unload the bike and just as I'm collecting my gear the other three ride up. Couldn't have arranged that any better. I give the driver a Round the World decal and 4000 Rubles. I'm happy. I hope he is. I have a lot more respect for the truck drivers than I had earlier in the day. Now to see if I can get the bike fixed?



No comments:

Post a Comment